What does it mean to dedicate my child to God?
The word “dedicate” means: to set apart, consecrate, to devote wholly and earnestly.
Dedication is a parent's commitment to God to raise their children in the admonition and fear of the Lord. As parents and believers we are called to recognize that children belong first and foremost to God.
Psalm 127:3-5 says, “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them…”
We see this process of presenting children before the Lord throughout the word of God. In the Gospels, we see people bringing children to Jesus so that He might place His hands on them and pray for them. In 1 Sam 1:28, we see Hannah dedicating her son Samuel to the Lord. God later called him to be a prophet. In Luke 2:22 we see Mary and Joseph bringing baby Jesus and presenting Him before the Lord. This dedication is the beginning of doing all you can do to ensure that your child will have a personal relationship with Jesus when he or she gets older.
A Parent's Responsibility:
- To Train: “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” (Prov. 22:6, ESV)
- To Teach: “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” (2 Tim 3:16-17, ESV)
- To be an Example: “Be careful to obey all these words that I command you, that it may go well with you and with your children after you forever, when you do what is good and right in the sight of the Lord your God.” (Deut 12:28, ESV)
What Do I Have To Do To Dedicate My Children?
1. At least one parent must already be a member in good standing with FCC.
2. Attend a training class prior to the ceremony.
3. Publicly declare before God and the congregation at Faith Community Church your commitment to teach and train your children in the ways of the Lord.
4. Contact us as soon as possible.
Please fill out the form below and we will contact you concerning the next Infant Dedication class.
Faith Community Church - Serving Staten Island, NY communities since 1992!